Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Shaping My Teacher Identity

This service learning experience at Early Morning Elementary School has contributed to my growth as a teacher. To begin, it has given me experience. I have not had many oppurtunities to work in a classroom, so I was thankful for this chance to be a part of a classroom and work closely with students. It is important to have as much experience as possible because schools are different in different areas. Because I have worked in a school environment that is unlike what I am used to, I will be more prepared for the classes I will be involved with in the future.

My work at Early Morning Elementary School has supported my decisions about the grade level I hope to teach. I began the semester wanting to teach first or second graders. I then went through a brief phase of doubt, wondering if I should teach students at the early childhood level. I compared my time spent with the kindergarteners and the first graders and came to a conclusion. In terms of the kindergarteners, I do not have as much fun as I do with the first graders. There are too many children within my group, which often leads to them not listening or participating in the activity, and getting off task. I get frustrated because they are not having fun, and I feel as though I am not reaching them. While I understand that every teacher will have his or her bad days with their students, I seem to have more bad days than good days with the kindergarteners.

I have had a completely different experience with the first graders. I look forward to working with them, and I feel as though they are benefitting from the program's activities. One of my favorite sessions with them began like any other session. I asked them which of the games they wanted to play, and of course, they always vote for the Vowel Stars game. This game gives them paper, a pencil, and time to draw a little. As each student wrote their words, I went around and had the student read what was on their papers. I was so proud of one African American girl named Eva. Not only was she enthusiastic about writing as many words as possible, but she was able to sound out and read all of her words. I've noticed an improvement in the abilities of the first graders since I started working with them in September. After the children had been doing the Vowel Stars for awhile, I decided that it was time to move on to another activity. They selected a dice game that uses Dolche words. The game consists of a 6 x 5 chart, that has numbers across the bottom. I write words in each of the spaces across the bottom and go over them with the children a few times and have them repeat each word. They then role a dice and see which word they will have to work with on the chart. During this particular time, I noticed that Eva was not paying attention and continuing to write words on her paper from the previous activity. I went through the words, "Play...jump...could...you..." and was echoed by the students. As I arrived at the fifth word, I turned and said "Eva..." and all the other students said her name. She looked up at me and smiled; the other students laughed, and I did as well. I enjoyed myself during this visit, and it is days like this day that I am looking for and that I hope to experience when I am a teacher.

My service learning experience has caused me to observe the differences of students within schools. I am more aware of the fact that there are students from various cultures and classes within schools. As a teacher, I need to recognize these differences and be prepared to provide these children with what they need to succeed in school and the future. I should embrace the various cultures brought into the classroom, and provide assistance to children who are in need. This experience has exposed me to various efforts by teachers to promote change within the classroom. I thought the Reading Buddies program was a great start toward helping the Early Morning Elementary School children.

While observing the differences of the children and hearing the thoughts of teachers involved with the Reading Buddies program, I was reminded of Jonathan Kozol. Kozol's main arguments is that America's schools are still segregated and far from equal, and that something needs to be done in order to change this reality. He also mentions how children that come from black and Hispanic parents are not as "valued" as children from successful white parents, and how the government will cut back on money given to poor children for early education and school. I thought his ideas were relevant to the children at Early Morning Elementary because they face an inequality between themselves and other American children. They have fallen behind, and it has been left to teachers and volunteers to provide them with a means of catching up. The Reading Buddies program targets certain skill areas such as using words in a sentence, sounding out letters and words, and remembering how to spell certain simple words. In order to enhance the students' skills, the organizers of the program have created certain activities that will allow the children to learn and have fun at the same time. These efforts to improve each of the students is the first step in levelling the playing field for Hispanic, African American, and poor children. Overtime, these students will develop a much better understanding of the formation of words and sentences. Not only will they benefit individually from the activities done within the Reading Buddies Program, but as a group, they will improve and not be so far behind. The inequality between themselves and other American children will shrink and hopefully, disappear.

I feel that I am walking away from this service learning with something. I have experienced a new school environment, and worked with children that are different from me. I have done my best to help them improve their skills, and I believe that they have managed to learn something during my sessions with them. After leaving my first graders, one girl named Sophie told me that she would miss me. I have been touched by my students, and I hope that I have had a positive impact on their learning. This entire experience has confirmed that teaching is the right career choice for me.

2 comments:

  1. Your experience sounds like it definitely helped you in a lot of way. You now know what you want to teach, that you know you can teach, and you have some experience behind you. Your students sound awesome and that they really enjoy your company. I also am in a first grade class and although the students had given me a run for my money when I walked in, they have definitely shown me how valuable they are.
    Being able to deal with two different grades seems like it would have been alot of work but you made it seem easy. You had a chance to see how the grades even though they are only different by a year can be completely different. That is something I hope I can get a chance to see for my self. You had gotten to see that what Kozol talks about and has gotten to experience for himself is real and it needs a change. Every child is valuable and they all need to be given the same chances. We the future teachers need to be able to bring this into our own classrooms so that we can try and break the cycle as I see it.
    It was very interesting to see Eva just continue doing what she was. It shows how you were teaching was what she needed to get excited about education. You have helped her be encouraged and even helped her be able to move on and improve. I know that I enjoyed when one of my girls Sarah just wanted to keep going with her math even though dismisal was just minutes away. She did not want to give up and I know I did not want her to give up.
    I agree with you when you say that you are walking away from this service learning with something. I think our whole class will. We all have our bad days but I think the good ones always seem the most special. I am having such a hard time deciding when my last day is because I do not want to dissappoint them. But, I know that I will soon have to go because in order to help other children learn I need to keep on learning how to help them.
    I am glad that you are confirmed that teaching is for you and I hope that it will give you the satisfaction it has given to you already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie,

    Your connection to Kozol is beautiful. It is also a perfect example that teaching is political work. We can either perpetuate the status quo or work to empower students who have traditionally been disenfranchised.

    Welcome to the good fight,
    Dr. August

    ReplyDelete